Thursday, April 2, 2009

A Weekday for Whateley

For my second feature, a day-in-the-life story, I followed around UNC women's tennis player Jenny Whateley for an entire day, taking notes on what classes she attended, along with weightlifting and practice. It was a fun assignment because it didn't feel like one. I was just "along for the ride," documenting what took place during her hectic day.

I believe I used good details, helping to move the story along, creating vivid pictures for readers' minds. The details used mostly involved time and place of events, and characteristics of Whateley. Something that I could have done better was improving my punctuation and grammar. I think I rushed writing this story, causing me to overlook errors in my writing.

After writing this feature, I have learned note-taking should not be taken for granted when recording information for stories. Paying close attention to a subject is key. Having a notebook and pen in your hand at all times isn't enough; it's watching the subject and seeing their interactions with the environment around them that will help develop the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment